Ankara accused Netanyahu of pursuing “expansionist and destabilizing policies” and said Turkey would continue its cooperation with the government of Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa.
By United with Israel Staff
Israel officially claimed responsibility Tuesday night for its airstrikes on Syria’s Abu al-Duhur Airbase, saying the attack was carried out to prevent a Turkish military deployment that Jerusalem viewed as a threat to its security.
The acknowledgment from the Prime Minister’s Office came after Syrian officials and regional media attributed the early-morning strikes to Israel. The attack damaged the airbase’s runway and infrastructure, with no casualties reported.
According to the PMO, Israel and Syria had previously reached an understanding to maintain a security status quo, which Damascus was on the verge of violating by allowing Turkish troops to deploy at an airbase near Aleppo.
“Israel repeatedly warned Syria that such a deployment would pose a threat to Israel’s security,” the PMO said. “Syria chose to ignore these warnings.”
“Israel will not tolerate threats to its security, and would welcome a return to the status quo,” it added.
The statement marked Israel’s first official acknowledgment that it was behind the strikes and directly tied the military action to Turkey’s growing presence in Syria.
Turkey responded sharply, rejecting Israel’s explanation and accusing Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government of using the alleged Turkish threat as a pretext for military action.
“The untenable allegations put forward by the Israeli Prime Minister’s Office are intended to legitimize Israel’s unlawful airstrikes targeting Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity,” Turkey’s Directorate of Communications said.
Ankara accused Netanyahu of pursuing “expansionist and destabilizing policies” and said Turkey would continue its cooperation with the government of Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa.
“Türkiye will resolutely continue to cooperate with the Syrian Government on a legitimate basis for the establishment of peace, stability, and prosperity in Syria, and will never allow the destabilization of Syria,” the statement said.
Turkey’s Foreign Ministry had already condemned the strikes on Tuesday, before Israel formally acknowledged responsibility, accusing Jerusalem of “recklessly” attacking Syrian infrastructure and capabilities and calling for greater international pressure on Israel.
The increasingly public dispute comes amid Israeli concerns over Ankara’s expanding military footprint in Syria, particularly the possibility that Turkish forces or air-defense systems could be deployed at Syrian military installations.
U.S. Ambassador to Turkey and Syria envoy Tom Barrack also criticized the strike Tuesday, calling it an “unnecessary escalation.” He later warned that such Israeli action could increase Turkey’s military presence in Syria and raise the risk of a direct confrontation between Israel and Turkey.
Washington is reportedly working on a mechanism aimed at preventing military friction between the two countries.
Israel, however, has maintained that it repeatedly warned Damascus against the Turkish deployment before taking military action, framing the strike as an effort to enforce existing security understandings and prevent a new threat from taking shape in Syria.
Do You Love Israel? Make a Donation - Show Your Support!
Donate to vital charities that help protect Israeli citizens and inspire millions around the world to support Israel too!
Now more than ever, Israel needs your help to fight and win the war -- including on the battlefield of public opinion.
Antisemitism, anti-Israel bias and boycotts are out of control. Israel's enemies are inciting terror and violence against innocent Israelis and Jews around the world. Help us fight back!
