A bomb exploded at an outdoor wedding ceremony in southeastern Turkey late Saturday night, causing multiple casualties, officials said.
Gaziantep Province Gov. Ali Yerlikaya said a blast during the wedding in the city of Gaziantep, near the border with Syria, was a terror attack. President Tayyip Erdogan said it was likely that Islamic State militants had carried out the late-night attack. The Associated Press could not immediately confirm the death toll and the governor’s office was expected to make an announcement.
Turkey has been rocked by a wave of attacks in the past year that have either been claimed by Kurds linked to the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party — known by its acronym PKK — or were blamed on ISIS.
The attack comes as the country is still reeling from last month’s failed coup attempt, which the government has blamed on U.S.-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen.
Deputy Prime Minister Mehmet Simsek, interviewed on NTV television, said, “This was a barbaric attack. It appears to be a suicide attack. All terror groups, the PKK, Daesh [ISIS]…are targeting Turkey. But God willing, we will overcome.”
Mehmet Tascioglu, a local journalist, told NTV television, that the huge explosion could be heard in many parts of the city.
Sign the Petition to Unite Against Islamic Terror
Petition to the United States and World Powers: