Israeli security prevented a massacre in Jerusalem that was planned for a packed wedding hall by Palestinian-Arab terrorists.
Four Palestinian-Arab men between the ages of 18 and 21 were indicted for planning to carry out a massacre at the “Nof” wedding hall in west Jerusalem near Shaare Zedek Medical Center.
The accused are Anas Ouisat, Basel Abidat, Ahmed Sarur and Amru Abado – residents of the east Jerusalem neighborhood of Jabal Mukaber. They were charged by the Jerusalem District Attorney after the Shin Bet internal security service discovered an alleged terror cell to which they belonged.
“Ouisat suggested a shooting attack on the Nof hall both because there would be a large number of casualties, between 800-1500 attendees, and because he had previously worked there,” the Jerusalem Post reports.
They planned to enter the hall in ultra-orthodox garb under which they would conceal their weapons.
Jabel Mukaber has a history of anti-Israel violence; for example, the 2008 slaughter of eight teenagers at Mercaz Harav yeshiva high school was carried out by a 26-year-old driver from Jabal Mukaber who had been making deliveries to the school.
According to the indictment, Times of Israel says, the suspects “approached a Palestinian arms dealer in the West Bank, who agreed to sell them two Uzi sub-machine guns for NIS 50,000. The defendants then approached another man and convinced him to help raise money in order to acquire the weapons.
“In December, three of the suspects drove to the Nof hall to survey the site,” the indictment continues, as reported in TOI.
“They examined both the main and staff entrances in order to determine the most convenient way to enter the hall, the court indictment stated.”
The terrorists reportedly were aiming to commit an act of terror on the same scale as the slaughter known as the “Passover Massacre.” In March 2002, a Hamas terrorist entered the dining hall of the Park Hotel in Netanya, where hundreds had gathered for the seder – the ritual Passover feast. He set off an explosion, killing 30 people and wounding 140 more. It was the deadliest attack against Israelis during the Second Intifada.
In an interview with the Post, Gilad Pinchas, who runs the wedding hall, expressed profound relief as well as immense gratitude to the security professionals.
“Nof is a place of celebration,” Pinchas told the Post. “The indictment is a gift from God. Nof has top security conditions, and we will continue to consider security a top priority at our hall for all our events and all our guests.”
Date: Feb. 5, 2014