United Hatzalah volunteer Michael Cohen (c) at wedding of terror victim he rescued 6 years earlier. (Courtesy Michael Cohen/United Hatzalah) (Courtesy Michael Cohen/United Hatzalah)
United Hatzalah


“I am honored and grateful that I had the opportunity to see how my efforts really did save an entire world, the world that Dikla and her family are going to create,” said United Hatzalah volunteer Michael Cohen.

By United Hatzalah Staff

On Wednesday, October 21, 2015, United Hatzalah volunteer EMT Michael Cohen was on his way home to the town of Adam from Jerusalem, on his ambucycle, when his communications device alerted him to a medical emergency that occurred nearby. A terrorist had stabbed a soldier and the bleeding was extremely severe, posing an immediate threat to her life.

Michael flipped on his siren and sped over to the traffic circle in the entrance to Adam, where the stabbing occurred.

Michael arrived quickly together with two other United Hatzalah volunteers. After making sure the scene was safe and the terrorist was neutralized, the three EMTs located the young woman, later identified as Dikla Megidish, who was suffering from a severe stab wound to her neck. The EMTs assessed that the knife had torn right through the woman’s carotid artery, leaving her very few minutes to live before completely bleeding out.

With no time to lose, Michael quickly applied pressure to Dikla’s artery, using his own fingers as a makeshift tourniquet. The two other EMTs helped control any other bleeding as Michael held onto the carotid artery in an attempt to stop the life-threatening bleed.

United Hatzalah rescuer

United Hatzalah volunteer Michael Cohen (2-r) with terror victim Dikla Megidish at Hadassah hospital, Oct. 22, 2015. (Michael Cohen/United Hatzalah)

After a few minutes, a mobile intensive care ambulance arrived at the scene. The crew carefully took control over Michael’s manual tourniquet and then loaded the woman onto the ambulance to be transported to Hadassah hospital.

Upon arrival, Dikla was quickly sedated and attached to a respirator. The next day, just as Shabbat was entering, Dikla’s family contacted Michael and informed him that she was awake and in recovery after surgery. That Saturday night, Michael and the two EMTs drove to Hadassah to visit the woman they saved.

Three weeks ago, Michael received a surprise invitation in the mail. Dikla was engaged to be married and had decided to invite Michael, even after six years. Michael attended the wedding and was warmly welcomed with a huge hug from the entire family.

“When I went to the wedding I was nervous at what the reunion would be. I hadn’t seen Dikla in six years. I was pleasantly surprised,” said Michael.

“I wondered if she would remember me, and especially during her wedding if she might come and say hello. When I arrived, Dikla, the beautiful bride, spotted me from across the room and embraced me with a hug. The groom told me how honored he was to see me, and they insisted that we take a picture together.

“Reuniting with Dikla at her wedding is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, and I am honored and grateful that I had the opportunity to see how my efforts really did save an entire world, the world that Dikla and her family are going to create. For that, I will forever be grateful.”



TIME RUNNING OUT to make the Land even more fruitful while helping Israeli farmers offset financial losses from Covid, Hamas arson fires and the upcoming Sabbatical year.

“…the seventh year shall be a complete rest for the Land…”
“…I will ordain My blessing for you…” (Leviticus 25:4,21)