King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia warns the West of the rising threat from the Islamic State terrorists, calls for “rapid” action. As terrorism intensifies in Europe, world leaders seek solution.
King Abdullah has warned that the West will be the next target of the radical Islamists sweeping through Syria and Iraq, unless there is “rapid” action.
“If we ignore them, I am sure they will reach Europe in a month and America in another month,” he said in remarks quoted by Saudi Press Agency (SPA) on Saturday.
“Terrorism knows no border and its danger could affect several countries outside the Middle East,” said the king, who was speaking at a welcoming ceremony for ambassadors early that day.
The Islamic State (IS) group has prompted widespread concern as it advances in both Syria and Iraq, killing thousands of people and forcibly converting adherents of other faiths. Lack of action would be “unacceptable” in the face of the phenomenon, King Abdullah said.
“I ask you to convey this message to your leaders. Terrorism at this time is an evil force that must be fought with wisdom and speed. I hope all ambassadors convey the message literally because fighting terrorism requires speed and capabilities,” the Saudi monarch demanded.
“I have noticed that most of you have not spoken about those terrorists and this is a completely unacceptable matter in terms of human rights. Those terrorists do not know the meaning of humanity. You see how terrorists carry out beheadings and make children show the severed heads in the street. It is no secret to you, what they have done and what they have yet to do. If we ignore them, I am sure they will reach Europe in a month and America in another month. Mark my words well and transmit this message to your leaders,” he concluded.
Saudi Arabia itself has so far not taken any comprehensive action against IS, which presents an explicit threat to their regime as well.
Islamic State Activity Intensifies in Europe, Targets Jews
The king’s warning comes as reports of IS activity in Europe multiply. A Lebanese news source, the Naharnet, reports that France has arrested an IS recruiter in France. The man, who is said to be of Chechen origin, was stopped at the Nice airport on Saturday and taken into custody. Naharnet further reports that some 800 French nationals or residents, including several dozen women, have traveled to Syria or returned from the conflict-ridden country, or plan to go there.
In a separate incident, French authorities have arrested and indicted two Muslim girls, ages 15 and 17, for plotting a suicide bombing in the Great Synagogue of Lyon. The girls contacted each other through social media and are among 60 people under investigation in France for association with radical Islamists, especially the Islamic State, where thousands of Europeans have joined the terrorist group. At least nine French synagogues have been attacked since the commencing of Operation “protective Edge’.
Across the channel, police in Britain have asked the public to identify “aspiring terrorists” amid government concern about people who go to fight with extremist groups in the Middle East and might return to carry out attacks on home soil.
West Seeks Coalition to Fight IS
US Secretary of State John Kerry called Friday for a global coalition to combat Islamic State fighters’ “genocidal agenda”, as President Obama has admitted the US did not yet have a clear strategy on how to contend with the IS terror.
Writing in the New York Times, Kerry said he and Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will meet European counterparts on the sidelines of a NATO summit in Wales next week to enlist assistance. They will then travel on to the Middle East to build support “among the countries that are most directly threatened.” However, the Obama Administration has come under fierce criticism for what appears to be inaction and indecisiveness regarding IS, which seems to be the fastest-growing threat to Western Civilization.
Author: Aryeh Savir
Staff Writer, United with Israel