Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird (L) with Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu (Photo: Kobi Gideon/Flash90) Canadian Foreign Minister John Baird (L) with Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu (Photo: Kobi Gideon/Flash90)

Canada is the only government to place responsibility on the Fatah-Hamas unity government for stopping terrorist attacks against Israeli citizens.

Governments around the world have been quick to condemn the surge in Hamas terrorist attacks against Israeli citizens but most have not offered unequivocal support for Israel’s Operation Protective Edge.

Over the past four weeks, thousands of Israelis have been running to bomb shelters as terrorists fired more than 250 high-powered rockets from Gaza into their towns, and millions of Israelis continue to face danger from the ever-broadening reach of terrorist missiles.

Yet Philip Gordon, the White House coordinator for the Middle East, North Africa and the Gulf Region, told a conference in Tel Aviv on July 8 that, although the US has “no interest in a blame game,” both sides were responsible for the breakdown of peace negotiations.

Earlier that same day, conference attendees had to take shelter in a special room while air raid sirens warned of a rocket attack against Tel Aviv, yet Gordon – after mentioning America’s unwavering commitment to Israel – said both sides had lost trust in the peace process.

US: ‘Trust Eroded on All Sides’

“The unfortunate reality is that neither side prepared their publics or proved ready to make the difficult decisions required for an agreement,” he said in his prepared remarks. “Trust has been eroded on all sides. Until it is restored, neither side will likely be ready to take risks for peace, even as they live with the dire consequences that result from its absence.”

Thus far, the Government of Canada has been the sole voice demanding that the new Fatah-Hamas unity government stop the terror.

“Canada believes that Israel has every right to defend itself, by itself, from such belligerent acts of terrorism,” John Baird, Canada’s foreign affairs minister, said in a July 8 statement. “The new Palestinian government must exercise its authority in Gaza and bring an immediate end to Hamas’s rocket attacks on Israel, and Hamas must respect the ceasefire agreed upon in 2012.”

Palestinian Authority: It’s “Genocide”

For his part, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, who heads the Fatah-Hamas unity government, accused Israel of genocide without appearing to accept any responsibility.

“The killing of entire families is genocide by Israel against our Palestinian people,” Abbas reportedly told a meeting in Ramallah.

PA Chair Mahmoud Abbas speaking recently in Ramallah. (Photo: Issam Rimawi/Flash90)

PA Chair Mahmoud Abbas speaking recently in Ramallah. (Photo: Issam Rimawi/Flash90)

William Hague, foreign secretary for the United Kingdom, said, “The UK calls on Hamas and other militant groups to stop these attacks. The people of Israel have the right to live without constant fear for their security; the people of Gaza also have the right to live in peace.”

Spokespersons for the European Union and the United Nations have condemned the indiscriminate terrorist attacks on Israeli civilians while expressing concern for Palestinian deaths and urging a return to calm.

Representatives for the governments of Egypt, Turkey and Iran have issued condemnations of Israel’s military actions without mentioning the ongoing Palestinian terrorism against Israeli citizens, according to media reports. The Russian Foreign Ministry has reportedly condemned both “terrorist attacks on Israeli cities and excessive use of force in relation to Gaza’s civilians.”

Author: Sherry Miller
Staff Writer, United with Israel